Using docbook

Subject: Using docbook
From: Kate Stout <stout -dot- k -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:45:32 -0400

Hi all -
I'd like to single source several documents, that my company plans to produce. There will be a User Guide, a Tutorial, and possibly some other manuals. Some material is reused across the various documents, so that would be shared amungst the documents. Some documents will be produced as pdf, others as an web in html, and some may be both.

I'm considering using creating the document components in docbook, then using xslt transforms to create the various required output formats.
Bunch of questions
1) Has anyone here used the docbook DTD before, & if yes, what was the experience like? I'm a little concerned because it's a fairly complex markup scheme.
2) What tools have you used to do the documentation editing? Did you "handcode" or use a specialized editor?
3) What tools did you use for xml transforms?
4) Tell me what else I should know, I'm sure there are questions I haven't thought to ask ;-).

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com