Updated documentation?

Subject: Updated documentation?
From: Geoff Hart <geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:12:53 -0400

Sarah Stegall wondered: <<The small start-up where I work is still in anarchy mode, so I have situations such as this: a software engineer was contacted directly by a customer, asking for instructions on a procedure. The engineer wrote up the instructions in whatever format pleased him, sent out the documentation, and then notified me of his fait accompli. We have procedures in place for documentation, which include review and approval, and this guy simply bypassed them. I know there will be no consequences to him. :)>>

There probably should be no consequences. Provided the instructions were correct, no harm was done; on the contrary, this kind of instant responsiveness is what makes many people willing to trust a startup rather than sticking with bigger, slower companies like Microsoft. That trust is what lets the startup survive long enough to become fat and complacent.

<< My problem is this: I have now reviewed, edited and properly formatted his instructions. It is now authorized for distribution to customers. My question is: should I go ahead and send the updated, proper document to the customer?>>

Of course, but include a polite cover letter: "We're pleased that we were able to help you by providing quick instructions so that you could continue working. Here are the revised instructions, which say exactly the same thing, but are more polished and more consistent with the reat of the documentation. Thanks for your patience!" In short, you're reiterating the message that your company prioritizes customer needs, but not at the expense of quality.

If possible, use this as an opportunity to work with the engineers to send out polished information in the first place, but don't insist on it if it becomes a major issue.

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com