Re: Declining a copyediting test

Subject: Re: Declining a copyediting test
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:21:19 -0400

I think Bonnie has stumbled upon something quite different from the scenario Kenneth describes.

As Bonnie knows, there are several highly unscrupulous subsidy publishers/vanity presses that, for a fee of a few hundred dollars, will take an author's Word file and slap it between two covers, claiming they are "publishing" the book. For the low fees they charge, the most editing they can offer is really just a lick and a promise--nothing as laborious as actually turning dreck into gelt. So I suspect they are looking for "editors" who will do nothing more than fix egregious grammatical errors and misspellings.

I doubt that any amount of moral suasion from Bonnie is going to get this company to alter its business model. My advice to Bonnie is just to let the matter drop and not respond.

Dick Margulis
--
http://www.dmargulis.com/selfpublish.asp
http://www.dmargulis.com/editing.asp

Nuckols, Kenneth M wrote:

2. Perhaps the company's idea of copyediting differs from your
expectations. Maybe what they say is "copyediting" is what you would
consider "re-writing." Perhaps they are accustomed to receiving little
more than draft notes compiled by engineers and they expect
"copyeditors" to re-write those notes in publishable form.

From your description, I'm willing to bet the situation within the
company is more like option 2 above. Since (IMO) that should at least
get one a co-author credit (and pay) and not just a copyedit credit I
can see your reluctance to bite their hook.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com