RE: Declining a copyediting test

Subject: RE: Declining a copyediting test
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:24:41 -0400

Nuckols, Kenneth M wrote:

<snip>

> b) maybe show them value they have not previously considered
> and get an
> offer for a better position with the company.

Thanks, Kenneth. I actually think it's one of those vanity publishers that's
their client (where quality does not count but ability to pay does), but
they might indeed be open to hearing about how I can help them with
developmental editing. Their instructions specified that extensive rewriting
was not sought. But I really like your (b) option, and that's what I'm going
to think about -- giving them my elevator speech after I inform them that I
won't be submitting a test. Something like, "What I could do for manuscripts
like these, if you would like, is ..... " Hm. I'm going to think about that.

This is one of those things that sours me on marketing all over again. This
company was one of about only 3 positive responses to an e-mail marketing
effort I made a couple of months ago. They weren't out there advertising for
copyeditors. I did this to myself! Their website looked quite good, so I'm
kind of surprised. Usually a scuzzy site is a dead giveaway. I think "major
POD publisher" should have been a red flag, but wasn't. Maybe I should hire
a marketer with savvy. I might end up saving money.

Thanks, again.

Bonnie Granat | http://www.GranatEdit.com
bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, US