Help on Basic Word Operation (Or Not Basic Word Operation, but I don't want to argue the point)

Subject: Help on Basic Word Operation (Or Not Basic Word Operation, but I don't want to argue the point)
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:33:49 -0400

I want to create a TOC from many documents, each of which contains one
chapter. I have heard this can be done. Can you direct me to some source
that explains how to do this?

I have already tried the Word-PC mailing list, the Word help system, and I'm
looking for basic information. Not lengthy information but concise, basic
information.

I have 19 chapters, lets say.

I want to create a TOC for all those chapters.

People keep talking about RD fields and how easy and wonderful they are.

Can someone direct me to some well-written, straightforward information on:

(a) The function of an RD field
(b) How to create a TOC from multiple documents

And, even if you have a very strong urge, please resist it and do not say
the following to me:

"RD fields are so easy to use, you should try them -- I've knowed of fluffy
brained people who took delight in using RD fields for TOCs, and even
Indices."

Bonnie Granat | http://www.GranatEdit.com
bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, US