Paragraph numbering - industry standard?

Subject: Paragraph numbering - industry standard?
From: siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:32:01 +0000

I?ve been documenting software for years now, and am writing my first SDK. I hate, hate, HATE paragraph numbers; I think they?re a holdover from when most tech writers worked for the military and had to conform to mil specs. My question is: is it still an industry standard to put paragraph numbers on each and every freakin? paragraph? Most of the commercial, third-party programming books I?ve seen don?t do that.
It isn?t as simple as asking the developers what they?d like. They write their documentation with and without numbers, but that may be a matter of being unfamiliar with Word?s numbering capabilities. :) And in any case, they keep telling me that since I *am* the tech pubs department, it?s up to me to establish standards. So...before I alienate all my customers by giving way to a personal preference, I?d like to poll you folks who write SDKs and software documentation to find out what the common practice in the field is.
Thank you.

Sarah

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com