Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!]]

Subject: Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!]]
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:39:11 -0400

And vodcasting, or videoblogging is not far behind. We've used Camtasia-produced tutorials to provide a strong visual to our audience. There are scores of multimedia training CDs and web-based training sites that use video. Users will want information in these more accessible forms for faster delivery and more rapid acquisition of knowledge. How cool to have an audio running that explains how to do something, as you are doing it? Even better, what about a video where the author or expert on the product tells you about it and demonstrates it visually? Can you envision picture-in-picture with instructional video in the upper right corner while you do the tasks yourself?

I think we're on the verge of an information breakthrough akin to the documentation revoloution that began when we started putting information in web pages. What exciting possibilities for technical communication!

--Beth

--
Beth Agnew, Professor of Mirth
laughpractice.blogspot.com

Steven Brown wrote:

We should not should laugh too hard or too long at
ideas like podcasting. If we want to ensure the
long-term viability of our profession, we have to
think beyond "documentation" and realize that what we
really do is educate. We need to be open to
educational and communication media that transcend
FrameMaker files and the traditional online help
systems that we've grown used to. (Heck, our users
aren't reading much of it anyway.)

If my customers came to me and said they'd be open to
a podcast to explain new features and functionality,
I'd be crazy for not giving it a try. While not
suitable for every situation, it could be interesting.

Steven Brown
Technical Writer (or something like that)

--- Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

After posting a recently completed document to the
company internal website
for review, I find myself getting several requests
for an *audio* version of
the document.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com