PDF does not properly show changes to generated list

Subject: PDF does not properly show changes to generated list
From: Milan Davidovic <shl_ctf -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:08:06 -0400 (EDT)

(Hope you'll excuse the cross-posting; I'd like to
contribute this information to the archives for both
lists)

Here's a problem that I had, and perhaps some of you
(who, like us in my office, are NOT FM wizards) are
stuck on this one. Or maybe someone in the future with
this problem will come looking for an answer. Here's
how I solved it, and maybe we can hear from others
with additional insights. I tried looking for this in
the archives, but it wouldn't turn up for me. If
anyone knows that it's already there, a
link/repost/whatever would be appreciated. TIA...

Background
We have a FrameMaker book file template. One of the
chapters is "Lists of Tables and Figures". We generate
a LOT and a LOF, then import them into this chapter.
The LOT and LOF are at the end of the book file. When
we make a PDF, we do the whole book, then delete the
LOT and LOF pages from the end of the PDF.
Inefficient, perhaps. But we have time and we're
comfortable with it.

Problem
We made a manual using the template. We made some
changes to some figure titles, updated the book, and
made a PDF. Although the List of Tables and Figures
chapter in FrameMaker reflected the changes to the
figure titles, the LOTAF chapter in the PDF did not.

After much mucking about, we discovered that the LOF
page at the back of the PDF actually matched the LOF
in Frame. It was only the LOTAF in the PDF that was
wrong. So, although the LOTAF in Frame looked okay, we
ditched it and brought in a new one from the template.
Set it up, reimported the insets, etc. etc. and made a
new PDF. Problem solved.

--Milan

music from the other side of the fence:
http://milan.zed.cbc.ca