RE: online job hunt -- for telecommuters

Subject: RE: online job hunt -- for telecommuters
From: "Sarah Stegall" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:03:00 -0700

Jefro:

In my experience, one of the best places to get a telecommuting gig is with
small startups. They may not pay as well, but they make up for it in other
ways, like encouraging telecommuting. One of the reasons for this is that
startups are often physically squeezed for space; they literally have
nowhere to put you. I spent the last four months of 2004 sharing a cubicle
the size of a closet with another worker at a startup; we had no problem
because at any given time one or the other of us was working offsite (at
home). I came in for scheduled meetings, but otherwise did much of my
writing (1/2 of it was marketing) from my home office 50 miles away. The
startup simply did not have the space to devote to a writer, especially a
contractor. This can be a big selling point in an interview.

Best of luck!

Sarah

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com