Re: online job hunt -- for telecommuters

Subject: Re: online job hunt -- for telecommuters
From: "Cathy MacDonald" <camacdonald -at- core -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:42:48 -0500

I used to work for a large company that manufactures scanning
equipment (MRI, CAT, PET, etc.) and occasionally volunteered to
be a crash-test dummy. I've had a couple head, knee and thoracic
scans performed by student technicians at work. I know of long-
term employees who've been scanned (usually MRI -- no radiation)
dozens of times and really like it. It's not for the claustro-
phobic, and depending on the current policy, consultants and
other non-employees are either forbidden from taking part or
are actively recruited. Go figure.

I've found that if you've been on both sides of the glass door
(in the magnet room or the technician's suite), you get a much
better notion of safety concerns, procedures, and hardware
operation than you would just reading about it.

Of course, there's ALWAYS a certified technician overseeing
anything that goes on there, and, since non-certified employees
are not allowed to scan humans, we writers usually substitute a
Tupperware container of grapes in the scanner (MRI is most
effective on things with a high water content) for testing.

I've also heard tales of employees who can't get into labs to
do their work, so they take some ultrasound equipment into
their cubes and scan themselves while they're sitting at their
desks. So far I haven't heard of Clinical Trial Fridays, but
it might be a good recruiting tool.

Brian wrote:

>Do you know of any pharmaceutical companies looking
>for writers to use the products and then, if able,
>write about them. Because that could be of interest,
>especially on a Friday. :-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com