RE: page numbering

Subject: RE: page numbering
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:43:34 -0400

Yes, that is very annoying and worth considering if you're doing mainly PDF. I guess looking back at my first response, most people won't really care where the page numbers start.

I will say FrameMaker does a very nice job of converting the TOC into usable hyperlinks and page numbers are superfluous in online documentation. Only when you print them do page numbers become relevant. If you're going to print them out, which way best serves the reader AFTER they are printed--not whether or not you correctly print a specific subset of the pages?

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com