RE: RoboHelp problems...

Subject: RE: RoboHelp problems...
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjt -at- helpstuff -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:46:29 -0400

Hi, Diane :-)

> I don't use RoboHelp often, and am very frustrated.
>
> I am using RoboHelp for HTML X4.1. I just created a Help
> File, and am trying to compile it as a .chm. It works on my
> computer, but no where else.
> All of the pages appear as "the page cannot be displayed."
>
> It seems like my links are local, and it is looking for
> global links. I haven't changed any settings since the last
> time I used RoboHelp (about 6 months ago). I need to have
> this file ready in the next 30 minutes. HELP!

When HTML Help files were originally introduced, their intended usage was as
a locally-run Help system (that is, off the user's hard drive). However,
many Help authors stored their HTML Help files on a server. Others used the
table of contents and index controls for Web sites.

Microsoft released security bulletin MS05-026, designed to close a
vulnerability in HTML Help files that allowed remote code execution. As a
result, HTML Help files, table of contents controls, and index controls no
longer work correctly when opened from a server.

You can get more information from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358: Microsoft's Knowledge Base article
about MS05-026. Scroll down to Known Issues to read other Knowledge Base
articles related to this service bulletin, including 892675, 896054, 896905,
and 902225.

Basically, this problem has nothing to do with RoboHelp.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly with business inquiries or comments.
2004-2005 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com