RE: Silly question on Word Styles

Subject: RE: Silly question on Word Styles
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:07:00 -0400

This is a question that has occurred to me on occasion as well. In
fact, the end-user probably doesn't care, and you as the writer wouldn't
have to care either if you were the only one who worked with your
documents and were satisfied with whatever methodology you worked out.

Where it becomes an issue is in a group environment where many documents
are produced and will be worked on by many members of the group. In our
documentation department, we produce many documents, and all of them go
through our editor. Furthermore, a given document will be revised by
many different writers over time, as various updates to our software
necessitate rewrites, and various projects that affect a single manual
fall to different writers who are familiar with different parts of our
system. Under those circumstances, it would be rather problematic if
everybody did their own thing with respect to styles and formatting.
Having everybody use the same template, and thus the same style sheet,
guarantees that a writer knows what he/she is going to be dealing with.