WEEE questions [LONG] (was RE: Municipal or Household Waste in E uropean Union?

Subject: WEEE questions [LONG] (was RE: Municipal or Household Waste in E uropean Union?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:10:39 -0400

I just got handed a WEEE "wheelie-bin" logo and told to put it in all our
documents -- we're a branch plant of a multi-national company (and somebody
else will take care of putting it on products and packaging).

I immediately wondered two things:

a) how is the logo used

b) what boilerplate text can I place with it (after all, if there's no text
explaining that the logo is about the product, then the reader is likely to
assume that it applies to the document... :-)

I found a couple of messages in Techwr-l from last month, the last one being
this ...

On Behalf Of Robert Milkovich
> Sent: July 19, 2005 11:58 AM

> The EU calls it 'waste' - go to www.eu.int and type
> 'recycling' in the search field, and go to
> http://www.jrc.cec.eu.int/default -dot- asp -at- sidsz=more_information&s
> idstsz=searchjrc.htm and type 'recycle computer' in that search field.

Must've been temporary pages in both cases; the first gives "0 of 334".
The second gives "Action cancelled..... unable to link" (and yes, I took
care to get the full URL).

I decided to use the following innocuous text:

"SafeNet Luna products that are taken out of service should not be discarded
with ordinary waste. Follow the WEEE or other directives that apply in your
country."

For the logo, my company supplied a version of the wheelie-bin drawing, in a
variety of formats, that has a large horizontal rectangle (usually filled
black) floating below the drawing of the bin. This does not match with what
was supplied on some UK sites, including the authoritative-looking:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/weee/WEEEguidance_draft.pdf
(see the last page)

I wonder if anybody has found clearer guidance and explanation that would
take into account the massive black bar that appears only in some offerings
and not others. I had thought that maybe the black field was to be used
for some text or compliance-cert number or other info, but the director (at
our head office) who supplied the material just says that the big black blob
belongs as part of the logo, but can't offer any explanation of its use or
possible symbolism. Alternatively, I thought it might have been just a
registration mark of some kind...

Any thoughts or informed opinion? If it's not clear what I'm talking about,
I can forward a jpeg to anybody who inquires directly.

Given that the new rules are going to affect saleability of product in many
countries where we sell product, I'd like to get this right the first time.

Has anybody "had the course" yet and can tell us standard usage?

Thanks,

Kevin (under the bureaucratic jackboot again)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com