Re: Question re: expanding text in FrontPage

Subject: Re: Question re: expanding text in FrontPage
From: "Lou Quillio" <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:34 -0400 (EDT)

Do it like this:

http://quillio.com/hisailor/

Each show/hide block of data (<div>s, in this case) has a unique ID. Each
is paired with a link (<h3>s, in this case) that passes the unique ID to a
Javascript function, and fires it.

The Javascript changes the CSS `display` rules for the uniquely ID-ed
element, on the fly.

This particular script is pretty sturdy, because it maintains display/hide
state: each element (and you can have as many as you want, as long as
they have unique IDs) stays open or closed until you click its link
explicitly.

You don't have to use text, either. The plus and minus symbols I used
could be replaced with little open and closed folder icons, or anything
else. Also, clicking one of the links might cause something to display or
hide in a completely different part of the page. Cool beans.

There's no formal name for it, just "DHTML", which you might define as
combining XHTML, CSS, and client-side scripting (Javascript) to produce
dynamic Web effects.

LQ

On Mon, August 22, 2005 3:54 pm, sueahrenhold -at- ameritech -dot- net said:

> Can somebody tell me the formal name for this capability, and maybe refer
> me to source for information.
> I've read most of the online help, and haven't quite found it.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com