DMS/CMS--A cry for help!!!

Subject: DMS/CMS--A cry for help!!!
From: David Loveless <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:18:40 -0600

Everyone,

I have been charged with developing a Documentation/Content Management
Strategy for my department. I have a little experience with DMS/CMS,
but recognize that I am overwhelmed. My department is developing
language training software.

Here are some of the specifications:

- Around 235,000 files. Generally, the files are .html, .pdf, .doc,
.wav, .gif, and other basic files (PowerPoint and Excel for example).
Our preferred method of storing documentation is .html since
DreamWeaver MX 2004 is our primary authoring tool.

- Files are divided among multiple teams working on similar projects.
Each team wants their own section to record their own files. Files are
generally process and production documentation, audio, meeting
minutes, and production work files. Teams also share many documents
since they are all working on similar projects, but they still want
their own copies of each document.

We have attempted several ideas in the past including folder
structures, websites, and even a small dip into the world of
Sharepoint. Single sourcing has helped somewhat in the creation of
similar documents. We have also dabbled in XML, but since this is a
student office and our XML resources are limited, we have abandoned
that route.

We have several programs available for our use including Sharepoint,
NextPage, and GroupWise 6.5, but I am largely unfamiliar with those
programs (except GroupWise).

Any thoughts, recommendations, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave L.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com