RE: Where do you place the Glossary hyperlink? Phase 2 question

Subject: RE: Where do you place the Glossary hyperlink? Phase 2 question
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:02:09 -0400

John Posada said...

> However, some descriptions refer to the same element more than once
> in a paragraph. An example might be:
>
> "The "XX_source" table has a related "XX_archive" table where a copy
> of the entity record is moved from the "XX_source" table to the
> "XX_archive" table once the status reaches status 6 (deployed)."
>
> Note...the text, while based on real content, has been whacked down
> in size, so if the composition seems odd, it isn't as odd in the real
> content.
>
> In the above, if they click on "XX_source" or "XX_archive", they are
> linked to the page in the data dictionary that exposes the complete
> structure of the table (columns, SPs, Indexes, views, triggers, etc.)
>
> In this case, I make EVERY instance hyperlinked because I cannot
> control when the developer is going to want to see the internals and
> I don't want him having to backtrack each instance to find the linked
> instance. it may not be until the third or fourth time an element is
> mentioned that he says "Hmmm...I gotta see this thing.", and I want
> the link to be available to him at that moment.
>
> Does anyone have strong feelings about how, in this case, I link
> every mention, even if it is multiple times in a paragraph?

I can certainly see your point in doing this, and I don't think it's a
bad idea in principal. You're possibly giving them more opportunities
than they need to follow the link, but since you're not writing a sales
brochure, more information is preferable to less.

My only question for you is this: do you follow this rule absolutely, or
do you sometimes get to a point where you decide to lay off the links or
spread them out more because the paragraph text is glowing with more
patches of color than a disco dance floor? Depending on how many terms
you link in a paragraph and how often they appear, I could foresee some
paragraphs becoming so dense with links that it becomes distracting to
the reader, and that might start getting some users annoyed instead of
grateful for your effort.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com