RE: PC naming? Help!

Subject: RE: PC naming? Help!
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:56:20 -0400

Jennifer asked...

> We are searching for a word to denote a particular computer on the
network
> that a solution is installed to (to watch over 1-1000 printer
devices). I
> have had votes here for Host PC and Control PC, and other developers
have
> suggested Controller PC, Management PC, Admin PC, and Monitor PC. My
> question is, do any of you have/use a particular name for this PC in
your
> documentation that you wouldn't mind sharing, or do you have any
> suggestions for a name for a PC like this?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Unless it's a proprietary name, I always have heard pcs dedicated to
routing and managing print devices referred to as "Print Servers." I
believe that's how the old Windows NT referred to such devices, and if
memory serves, Novell Netware also uses that designation. In any case,
"Print Server" would be my suggestion (unless, of course, that's a
proprietary designation that would confuse users about the underlying
network OS).

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com