FW: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans

Subject: FW: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:09:53 -0400

Geologically, Chicago and New Orleans are two remarkably different situations. The Great Lakes states are rising. New Orleans was built above sea level and has since settled to below sea level. I can't remember if that is because the weight of the silt and sediment pushing the earth's crust down into the mantle or if loose material is compacting or both.

Chicago may have been swampy, but it has firm footing underneath and it is rising. As for New Orleans, it will only get worse. Maybe they should consider lowering sea level.

As for a technical writing tie-in...
Undoubtedly, some of us will get involved in writing proposals for funding or creating educational materials to help people understand how to prepare for hurricanes.

As technical writers, we should realize people don't always heed good advice. How do we convince our audience that dangers are real and warnings aren't just to cover our own butts and sometimes we really do look out for the reader's best interest?

My word of caution for the day: Be aware of buying a used car from the "deep" south.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com