Re: FW: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans

Subject: Re: FW: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:47:02 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Margulis"

You can't blame the writing or production quality of the ads for the deaths that do occur; you can only hope they prevented even more deaths.

You have here the crux of the problem -- detailed, scientifically and mechanically correct exposition on a problem and its possible solutions is the domain of the technical writer. However, the facts are not enough. Lending cogency to the exposition, so those responsible for action will take the proper measures, is a different matter. That calls for salesmanship.

I believe we have adequate demonstration in recent years that government officials who are determined to follow their hearts instead of their brains will find ways to avoid consideration of facts, no matter how adroitly the facts are presented. Rebuilding New Orleans is a boneheaded idea, from the viewpoint of practicality and common-sense analysis -- again, domains of the technical communicator. Therefore, in the current political climate, you can be assured that it will proceed, with the requisite technical documentation and instructions produced by folks just trying to make a living, and the motivation provided by politicos with greater skill at sales than at critical thinking.

I would like to be much more pointed in my presentation of the case, but I treasure my membership on this list, and would like not to jeopardize simply to make a political point. Suffice it to say that there is no connection between the regrettable rebuilding of New Orleans and the art and craft of technical communication.

---- Jerry Muelver

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com