Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work? was RE: Why Tech-Writers ShouldKnow About Open Source Technologies
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:16:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>

True, to an extent. But there's a lot to be said about knowing your
tools as well as possible.

There's also the question of where those tools come from. Just as a
responsible consumer might not want to buy a product from a company that
operates sweat shops in Asia, so a lot of people in the open source
community don't want to deal with companies that are near-monopolies and
don't meet their ethical standards.

From our point of view, "knowing" your tool means knowing how to
use it effectively and efficiently. I'm not saying it isn't fun to dig under
the hood. And although it may just be the nature of our particular
business, most all of our tools seem to be from somewhere in
N. America (US and Canada). Except for Adobe. I wouldn't mind
trying OS replacements for FM and Acrobat just to not have to deal
with them anymore. :)

But that same cost is going to be there for a proprietary tool, too.

I should also add that neutral studies (that is, ones funded by neither
pro-proprietary or pro-open source people) suggest otherwise.

Hasn't been the case for us, except for Linux (though we don't use a free
version of that, either).

Gene Kim-Eng

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com