Framemaker v. Word v. ?

Subject: Framemaker v. Word v. ?
From: "Melissa Wang" <melissa -at- taprootfoundation -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:13:29 -0700

Hello,

I am looking for an application that will allow me to create different
versions of a manual-like document. Basically, this manual would be the
compilation of several different chapters - some of the chapters would
be the same across the different versions and some would be different.
I currently have a version of the document that was created in Word, but
I am finding that Word is not robust enough to support the different
tables, heading structures, pagination etc. I know Framemaker would
allow me to create different "books" out of chapters, which is very
appealing.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about trying to convert
a Framemaker file into Word? (or a PDF into Word?) The manual I am
hoping to create would be distributed to users electronically - they
should be able to download it and then edit/change it however they want.
Basically, I want the file just to be a guideline that they can then
take and work with on their own. I suspect that Framemaker may not
accommodate that very well, but was hoping for some advice from anyone
who might know Framemaker well (or any other application that might seem
suitable). The document that I am looking to create would probably be
around 60-80 pages and include some tables and graphics - nothing
terribly fancy, but perhaps more than Word can handle comfortably.

Please help - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com