RE: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]

Subject: RE: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:55:58 -0400

Claire Conant said...

> And my past experience has been that the assurance of raises and
bonuses
> never materialize as they say it will. Things change, and while the
> hiring manager offer you the "potential" of a 100% bonus each time and
> 5% increase, there seem to always be unseen factors that prevent this.
> And then there's prorating (if you are hired mid-year or convert to a
> direct employee from a contractor.)

I don't want to count any chickens before they hatch, but when budgets
are finalized in the next six weeks or so, there is a high probability
that I will be offered a permanent position instead of the contract
position I currently hold. I would expect that position to begin on or
around January 1 of 2006.

My inquiry is for anyone who has gone through this transition before (I
have always been a "real" employee or employed through an agency in all
other job experience prior to this gig).

Taking into account a) what it costs me out of pocket now for health
insurance, b) what tax rate I have to pay for Social Security taxes, and
c) what tax bracket I fall into at my current level of contract pay (the
money they would withhold that I'm now able to earn interest on until I
have to self-pay it), I would like input on the following questions:

1. What percentage of my contract salary should I expect the employer to
offer as a "real" salary for a permanent position?

2. In terms of a percentage, what is reasonable to expect the company to
pay for benefits, taxes, and other overhead associated with being a real
employee?

3. Is it reasonable for me to ask the employer to count my hire date (in
terms of vacation accrual, vesting with the company, 401K and other
benefits) as the date I started working as a contractor (I have been
here continuously with no interruptions since that hire date)?

I have been keeping tabs on Salary.com and other resources to know what
this position "ought" to pay in my city and as a contractor I'm well
above the 75th percentile. I'm expecting that IF--nothing is guaranteed,
of course--the company makes a permanent offer it will be lower than the
contract rate, but I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect. Any
feedback from voices of experience would be most appreciated, onlist or
off. Thanks.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com