Re: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]

Subject: Re: Contract to Perm [WAS: salary for entry level position...]
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:08:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>

1. What percentage of my contract salary should I expect the employer to
offer as a "real" salary for a permanent position?

You should expect to be offered a salary that is based on the market
for your area, derived from various "market survey" services employed
by the HR dept. Your current contract rate will be virtually irrelevant
to this process, unless the result is grossly lower and the hiring manager
chooses to intervene to avoid losing you.

2. In terms of a percentage, what is reasonable to expect the company to
pay for benefits, taxes, and other overhead associated with being a real
employee?

Employer/employee benefits costs are all over the place. Your taxes
are determined by govt and not your employer, and overhead will be
invisible to you.
3. Is it reasonable for me to ask the employer to count my hire date (in
terms of vacation accrual, vesting with the company, 401K and other
benefits) as the date I started working as a contractor (I have been
here continuously with no interruptions since that hire date)?

You can certainly *ask.* IMO, you're more likely to be successful at this with a smaller company than a larger one.

Gene Kim-Eng

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com