Re: is "technologies" a word?

Subject: Re: is "technologies" a word?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:44:53 -0400

Alessandro Ansa wrote:

I still think someone's got to say something when useful words like
technology, solution, architecture losing their meaning as marketeers
randomly insert them in their blurbs simply to create a general
impression of sophistication.

If it were not for those "marketeers," you may end up with a wharehouse full of widgets that nobody knows about. Languages are always in a constant state of evolution. What was proper in 1900 is archaic in 2000. Technologies is a plural of technology, not a buzzword or slang. However, with that said, I have noticed a plethora or new terms using "up" as a prefix to make the product sound more advanced than it is. However, I don't blame the copywriter as much as the advertising manager who allowed the garbage to make it through the review process, or for not having a review process.

Just my 2.45698309 cents worth.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com