RE: Independent Contractor Insurance Question

Subject: RE: Independent Contractor Insurance Question
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:14:56 -0500

Talk to a good commercial broker, who is fully familiar with these lines. A
homeowners insurance broker might be a very nice person, but her lack of
familiarity could easily cause you to have more expensive coverage than you
need. You should be able to get one through the contracting agency, if all
else fails. Usually premiums for this coverage are not significant. If you
have the right type of policy, there should b e little need for retention,
of that amount. Be very careful with the retention, while that is not very
common, it is done to ensure that your work is acceptable to the government.
Make sure the amount is reasonable, the terms of release clear and limited
only to your work product being the cause of a government refusal to pay and
the time period as short as possible. You should talk to a local attorney to
assist the drafting of the agreement. The amount of the retention you
mention is a significant sum and the legal fee may well be worth paying.
Also I would contact the National Writers Union.

_____
Peter
All things being equal,
a fat person uses more soap