RE: Best graphics format to import into Power Point

Subject: RE: Best graphics format to import into Power Point
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:19:34 -0000

> Can the Power Point experts out there recommend the best graphics
> format for
> images we import into Power Point. Ideally, we'd like sales reps
> to be able
> to scale the images if possible. You can also tell me if letting
> them scale
> images themselves is a bad idea.
>
> Thanks.
>
> elizabeth
>
> elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com

Hi Elizabeth

It depends on the kind of image. For photos, JPEG is probably the best. For
screenshots or other kinds of graphic with solid color areas and sharp
transitions, PNG is probably best, though GIF will be OK if you can cope
with the 256-color limitation.

Scaling images is something of a complex issue. If you scale images to
larger than original size, you run the risk of making the limited image
quality of the original painfully obvious. If you scale images to smaller
than the original, then you will have a file size that is much larger than
is strictly necessary. There are tools around that can resample images that
have been scaled-down within PPT presentations, and these can achieve
spectacular file size reductions if you have inserted high-res photos into a
presentation.

One such tool is PPTools Optimizer. Take a look here
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptools/FAQ00013.htm

Regards
Jonathan West

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com