Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point

Subject: Re: Best graphics format to import into Power Point
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:18:58 -0500

> Images should be jpegs. But let's be clear. I'm using the word image to
> refer to photos and other continuous tone pictures, as distinct from
> drawings/diagrams/charts made up of lines and solid-color areas. For
> these, the answer varies depending on the tool used to create them. But
> EMF or WMF seems to work best in PowerPoint, with GIF and PNG a weak
> second choice.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind this advice. Generally if you
are inserting the image into an Office application (common use) the
app consumes the image and displays a JPG rendering of it for screen
viewing and a PNG or WMF (depending on whether it was raster or vector
originally) copy of it for print output. That is, it doesn't retain
the file information, but translates it. If you're inserting a
reference to a file, it can be whatever you want it to be provided MS
Office can interpret it upon display and output.

> Ideally, we'd like sales reps to be able
> > to scale the images if possible. You can also tell me if letting them scale
> > images themselves is a bad idea.
>
> BAD IDEA. NEVER let sales reps do ANYTHING to a PowerPoint presentation.
> However, if you insist, at least make sure that you have "Lock aspect
> ration" checked so they can't easily distort the picture.

<sarcasm> Yes, never teach others to fish. Always ensure you have
plenty of small jobs to do at work. </sarcasm> If you couldn't tell, I
disagree with this advice whole-heartedly. Teach them the right way to
do things, explain why, explain it will make them look better (sales
people generally love ways to improve their image - helps make that
next sale), and offer to review their PPTs for a while to see if they
understand the process correctly.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736