Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time

Subject: Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time
From: Michele <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:55:14 -0600

In my sordid past I dated several Special Forces guys and several Marines. A friend from high school who was in the Air Force and is now in the AF Reserves seems to have the same attitude all the other military guys I dated. They're amazing, they are above all of us who have, what seems to them, easy jobs. My AF friend is a physical therapist and his job is so much more demanding than my own. Matter of fact, his whole life is more demanding than my own. He has no partner, no children, no concept at 40 what it's like to have a client yelling at you because he promised you feedback on a manual, never gave it, and you were still supposed to intuitively *know* that you were supposed to finish said manual with no feedback.

As the song Deliverance says, "walk a mile in her shoes and see what your life is like" or something like that. Unless you've dealt with difficult clients, written a book with programmers that *think* they can crank out code at record speed and have some chatting content in between, you don't know, having been in the military or not what my life is like. Oh, and have a teen who thinks the world revolves around him. I just realized today that my teen thinks I do nothing while he's at school. I'm just sitting around *playing* on the computer until he summons me to drive him (and friends in tow) somewhere. Oy. I don't know what the military is like, but I do know, having had a grandma in the Army during WWII that I wouldn't tolerate how they would have treated me.

What I want to know is how the Marine being discussed even knows what Melissa gets paid. How was he privy to that information?

Michele

Michele E. Davis, MFA, Ph Dr., Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516