Re: DITA, XMetaL and FrameMaker Together ???

Subject: Re: DITA, XMetaL and FrameMaker Together ???
From: Yves Barbion <ybarbion -at- uni-learning -dot- com>
To: Scott Abel <abelsp -at- netdirect -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:43:49 +0100

Indeed, I was "intrigued" too. So I tried to download a trial version, had to create an account first, did so and... all I got was a message saying: "Computer error, please try again". So I tried again, but to no avail. ;-(

Yves Barbion Technical Writer
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor
____________________________________

U&I Learning NV (formerly ATEK NV)
Molenaarsstraat 111 B-9000 Gent Belgium Tel.: +32 9 265 74 72 Fax: +32 9 265 74 84 www.uni-learning.com
____________________________________

Scott Abel wrote:

DITA, XMetaL and FrameMaker Together?

BlastRadius, the makers of the popular XML authoring tool XMetaL, are making a unique offer to Adobe FrameMaker users: Buy XMetaL Author DITA Edition (25% off until December 31, 2005), but use it WITH FrameMaker. Wow! That's not the kind of offer I expected to receive from Blast Radius, but it makes good sense for many FrameMaker users. Here's why.

FrameMaker's greatest strength is its publishing engine. XML authoring tools like XMetaL don't have powerful publishing capabilities but they have better support for DITA. But, when FrameMaker is combined with XMetaL Author DITA Edition, problem solved. Use XMetaL to create structured XML content, use FrameMaker as the publishing engine, and deliver DITA-based content to multiple outputs. Not a bad idea.

Is anyone currently do this? I know of a few organizations that have tried this approach and it seems to work well for them. But I'd love to know if anyone else is considering this combination.

P.S. BlastRadius ups the ante of the offering by offerng a "free day of consulting and a risk-free proof-of-concept" (restrictions apply). The website also features a DITA FAQ, product demonstrations, and access to a downloadable "trial version" of the software.

http://www.xmetal.com/en_us/marketing/frameoffer/index.x?XMAD

==================================
Scott Abel, Content Management Strategist
3421 Crystal Lakes Ct., Sarasota FL 34235
abelsp -at- netdirect -dot- net 941-359-3416
www.thecontentwrangler.com
========================

Events of Interest
CM Pros Summit: Enabling Content Personalization through Content Management, November 28 - Boston, MA
http://www.cmprofessionals.org/events/summit/

DITA 2006, March 23-25, 2006 - Raleigh, NC
http://www.travelthepath.com/dita2006.html

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as YBarbion -at- uni-learning -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/ybarbion%40uni-learning.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com