Re: GUI elements - how do you format them in your docs?

Subject: Re: GUI elements - how do you format them in your docs?
From: Yves Barbion <ybarbion -at- uni-learning -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:33:24 +0100

Hello Carla (and fellow techwhirlers),

I call these GUI elements "controls" and I tag them as follows:

<control>View</control> tab.

Using a dedicated tag has the following benefits:

- The formatting can vary, depending on the medium (e.g. bold in print or PDF; colored text in Help).

- The user can easily distinguish between regular text and UI text.

- Localization: you can generate lists of text in "controls" for your translators and they will know that they have to pay special attention to these <control>s.

- Localization: if you use a tool like FrameMaker, you can use different language settings for "controls" and regular text. For example, suppose I'm writing a French user guide about an English software program. I will use French in my paragraph tags for regular text (for hyphenation and spell checking) and English in the settings of my <control> tag. FrameMaker will automatically switch between both dictionaries when hyphenating and spell checking the text.

Best regards

Yves Barbion Senior Technical Writer
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor

U&I Learning NV (formerly ATEK NV)