RE: Branded communication design

Subject: RE: Branded communication design
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Rob Tovey" <robtovey -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>, <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:04:45 -0800

Some thoughts:
* branding should be consistent. I align my terminology, graphics, and
so forth with the established
marketing branding. If there isn't any, I push for it! I make sure my
product managers review the
documentation.
* I would prefer to answer your question in terms of production values.
The high-priced products I'm
familiar with have nice four-color instruction manuals. *I* would not
be put out if they were in
plain black and white, but others might. It depends (as always) on the
audience.
For example, most SW engineers wouldn't blink an eye if Adobe
Photoshop came in a brown box! I don't
think this would be as acceptable to graphic artists, though.
I mean, sometimes I am prejudiced *against* high-quality
documentation, cuz all too often the quality of
the words are nowhere *near* the quality of the cover!

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.