Word 2002 and Images as Objects

Subject: Word 2002 and Images as Objects
From: Karen <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:11:20 -0800 (PST)

I have a document where I was importing images (jpg)
as objects and ensuring that I kept them as a link to
the original image. I *thought* this would minimize
file size. Boy, was I wrong!

I have had two issues:

1) The 35 page document has grown to 100 MB quickly.

2) When I've had other people edit this out on the
network, all of my links keep disappearing (Error
Message = Error Not a Valid Link. (I've checked, they
are not moving it to their harddrive for editting.)

To deal with the link issue, I embedded the graphics
in the Word document. And the file size went down to 4
MB.

How in the world did the file size get so small? The
screenshots look fine on our laser printer.

How do a import images and keep the file size small?
I've used SnagIt to reduce the jpgs.

I'm also working on coverting the file to Master and
Sub Documents.