Re: The second person in user guides

Subject: Re: The second person in user guides
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:36:53 +0530

Hi,

I'd suggest creating a table where you have a dozen or so typical
sentences from your manual in the two styles mentioned. See if the
"you" adds value. I usually feel it doesn't.

In the imperative mood, the "you" is implied anyway. Adding a you
makes it redundant, and sometimes seems to imply a "hey!" (as in, "Hey
you! Click that there button!).

-edwin