RE: FrameMaker training

Subject: RE: FrameMaker training
From: "Etzel, Gary" <Gary -dot- Etzel -at- Advantica -dot- biz>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:54:14 -0500

> Question: How much emphasis do you feel should be
> placed on learning structured Framemaker.

I'll respond to this since I responded to the original post. Last time, I
don't think I explicitly said "I use structured FrameMaker," but I have been
for several years. So I guess that would make two out of six "yes"

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that everyone needs to learn
it, or everyone should use it. Many companies don't need it. Many companies
could benefit from it, but can also manage just fine without it. And some
companies could definitely use it. What is important is that you learn what
structured FrameMaker can do, and the basics of how it works. Then you can
decide whether it can benefit you or your company, plus whether your company
can handle the transition. Then you can learn the actual mechanics of
writing an EDD and implementing a structured FrameMaker workflow.

Does structure make one a better writer? Absolutely not. It will make good
writers more efficient, but it will not make a bad writer become a better
writer. It's just another tool that you may or may not need, depending on
what you need to do and the resources that you have to work with.

One final note as that while I didn't attend the FrameMaker Chautauqua this
fall, the feedback I've heard is that new FrameMaker development will be
focused on the structured interface. Unstructured FrameMaker will only
benefit from any scraps that may apply to both. Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong. And of course we can debate all day long about whether FrameMaker
even has a future. But if FrameMaker really is focusing its development
efforts on structure, then you may want to at least be aware of what it's
all about.

Regards,

Gary
This e-mail, and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, by return of email, and then delete the e-mail and any attachments. You should not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission.