The more you know, the less you know you know

Subject: The more you know, the less you know you know
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:28:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi, guys...just pretty much thinking out loud here.

I came to this gig last Feb. My assignment was to document an
internally developed portal. No problem!

Here I am 10 months later, having produced maybe close to a thousand
pages of document, and have realized that the more I write, the
smaller the dent on how much is left that I need to write.

My manager is thrilled with what I've done and what I'm doing. My
developers are happy with how quickly I pickup their explanations and
get them onto paper. I've created several documents for them that
they were able to send to their developer counterparts all over the
world. I just got an $12/hour rate increase that goes into effect
next week. Aside from the fact that I'm working an average of 55
hours a week, all is well.

My problem is that at the rate I'm going, it will be five years
before I've made a dent on documenting what I need to document.

This doesn't seem to bother anyone...except me.

Don't get me wrong..I'm all for job security. I guess I'm just
wondering if anyone else is in this position and how they get their
mind around it.

BTW...the hours thing...it's not as bad as it looks. My manager lets
me bill any hours where I work on documentation, regardless of where
I am. Last night, I wote about four pages of content from my lounge
chair with the Victoria Secrets fashion show on the TV and this
morning, did two hours while sitting on the bus coming into the city.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"Well, you have to know these things
when you're king, you know." -