Re: Pay or Repay a Debt?

Subject: Re: Pay or Repay a Debt?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:06:27 -0500

Martin Bosworth wrote:

Lisa,

I think you're right. When you're lent money, or any kind of favor,
you don't repay something you haven't paid yet. You therefore *pay*
the debt back.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that loans are used to pay
for other things before paying back the money to the lender. Thus
people consider it a "repayment."

I think that the "re" in repay has to do with your paying money "back" to the lender ("re" as in "return") rather than paying "again" ("re" as in "redo").

But while we're on the subject, when I was in sixth grade (long before most of you were born), I learned that when you borrow money you "make" a loan and the banker "takes" a loan. I wonder if those of you in the banking industry still use the words that way or if that usage is now totally obsolete.