Word TOC question?

Subject: Word TOC question?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Kirk Turner <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:29:30 -0500

Kirk Turner wondered: <<When I insert a table of contents into my manual, the table does not include the 1st and 2nd level headings. I'm almost sure that I haven't set the TOC options correctly, but after changing just about every setting on the options tab, I'm at a loss at to what to do. Any thoughts/suggestions? >>

Yup: Look in the Styles dialog box instead. <g> Word only considers its own built-in heading styles to be levels 1 through 3. To get any custom styles into the TOC, open the Format menu, select Styles, then select and edit each of your custom heading styles in turn: Click the Modify button, select Paragraph under the Format menu at the bottom of that dialog, then at the top of the dialog box, edit the "Outline level" to the correct level in the heading hierarchy.

www.geoff-hart.com