Controlling Document Sizes?

Subject: Controlling Document Sizes?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Melissa Nelson <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:39:46 -0500

Melissa Nelson wondered: <<OK, I am not quite sure what my boss is talking about so I am going to ask this in a very general term, in hopes that I can figure it out through your various answers.>>

Actually, you really (really!) need to find out what your boss is asking about. We can speculate endlessly about the source of the problem without coming close to a solution. For example, I'd give you even odds that the ever-popular "adding more text at the end of the file" problem might be at work here. <g>

<<My manager asked me if I know how to control the size of Word and PowerPoint documents as he say his documents keep getting bigger in terms of file size. He does not want them to contain less content or illustrations, just to be smaller file sizes. Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to do this?>>

In both programs, make sure he's not using "Fast Saves" (Options-->Preferences-->Save tab). That's a recipe for file bloat and disaster. Ditto for the Versioning feature (under the File menu). Similarly, it's easy to bloat both programs by embedding objects such as spreadsheets or by importing full-resolution graphics. See the problem? Could be a million things.

www.geoff-hart.com