Re: saving trees (printing)

Subject: Re: saving trees (printing)
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:30:59 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

I'm interested in cutting down the number of pages in our printed
manuals in favor of electronic delivery (PDF, HTML, c-s Help systems,
etc.). I wanted to get a feel from people who have done this as to
what the customer reaction was.

The last place I worked supplied high-end wireless microphone systems and audio processing systems for the entertainment and installed sound industries. In nearly every case, the manuals were separated from the equipment. (The manuals ranged from 16 to 100 pages.) By creating simplified operating sheets and putting most of the documentation either on an accompanying CD or online, we found customer reaction to be very positive. The managers had their manuals to file somewhere and the users had the procedures needed to operate the equipment...and our printing costs dropped considerably.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang