Link from PDF to topics in a chm

Subject: Link from PDF to topics in a chm
From: "Joe Campo" <joe -dot- campo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:56:52 -0500

Can you link from a PDF directly to a topic in a chm?

I've been working with MicroType using their TimeSavers application,
which had offered a solution. However, in Acrobat Reader 7, the path
from the PDF to the chm topic needs to be absolute from the root. In
Acrobat 6, relative links worked (I have been told).

If users install the software somewhere other than the default, or if
they are viewing it from a network server, absolute links from the pdf
to the chm topic will fail.

Has anyone encountered this problem and come up with a solution?

I'm wondering if there is a way to use some sort of redirection topic.
Link from the pdf to an html topic, which hopefully wouldn't have to be
absolute, then redirect users from the html topic into the chm topic.

Any ideas?
Thank you for your help.

JoeC

Joseph Campo
Joe -dot- campo -at- solidworks -dot- com
Senior Technical Writer | Certified SolidWorks Professional |
Documentation Department
SolidWorks Corporation | 300 Baker Avenue, Concord, Massachusetts 01742
USA
Phone: 1-978-371-5164 | Fax 1-978-371-7303 | www.solidworks.com

SolidWorks - The World's #1 Mainstream 3D Design Software
#1 in production | #1 in customer satisfaction | #1 in sales