RE: Effective mechanism to gather end-user feedback

Subject: RE: Effective mechanism to gather end-user feedback
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:05:09 -0500

Hi Laura,

There are two issues here: e-mailing to get help about a problem, and
e-mailing to comment on the manuals.

In all my years as a consumer and tech writer, I have never written
merely to send a comment about a company's user manual. If it's good, I
use it; if it isn't, I e-mail or phone with the question that the manual
didn't answer.

If your Help desk is getting lots of calls about problems whose
solutions are in the manual, then you already know that the manual is
ineffective. Your problem might be the content, or it might be the
delivery system. There's a lot on the TECHWR-L archives about the
disadvantages of Web-based PDF Help, as opposed to other Help platforms
that were built expressly for the Web.

You might try converting your existing content to one of those
platforms, and then publicizing it to all your users. Web stats will
tell you:
- If they try out the new platform, which means that the
publicity worked
- If they *use* the new platform, which means that *it* works

Finally, it isn't true that "end users do not like the idea of typing a
mail and waiting for the response on mail." Many companies' end-users
get their help almost exclusively via fast e-mail responses.

Has your company thought about how it could encourage e-mail queries
instead of phone calls? If an e-mail costs your company $5 less than a
phone call (in terms of paid employee time), maybe you can offer a daily
$1 Office Depot coupon for the 20th registered user who e-mails with a
problem...

HTH,

Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.