Re: Effective mechanism to gather end-user feedback

Subject: Re: Effective mechanism to gather end-user feedback
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: tw_asks_u -at- postinbox -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:48:49 +0200

Laura,

You wrote:

... Most of our manuals are in the PDF format and uploaded to our support
website. The manuals are also a part of the product CDs that reach the
customer. We have a very inviting line such as "Send your comments
about this user manual to the following e-mail address:, in our support
site but have not found any takers for this so far over the years!
This is proof that suggests end users do not like the idea of typing a
mail and waiting for the response on mail. ...

Did you consider using an interactive "feedback" bookmark in your PDFs?

Bookmarks are visible independently of the page being displayed (especially if the the "feedback" bookmark shows up in the top part of your bookmark panel). You can assign distinct visual properties to such bookmarks, and even have pre-populated fields (receipient/s, subject line, or even default message text). Depending on your audience, the message may even include HTML formatting.

See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#3 for more info + sample files.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars