Trying to estimate the time it will take to write an SRS.

Subject: Trying to estimate the time it will take to write an SRS.
From: "Jennifer C. Bennett" <fritillary -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:37:09 -0600

Hello all,

I may have an opportunity to write an SRS for what has been described as a "simple content management system". The focus of development will be on the API.

Since I have not written one of these before, I was wondering if anyone could help me to estimate the time it would take to create the SRS. I have read the TECHWR-L article "Writing Software Requirements Specifications" by Donn Le Vie, Jr. (link: http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/writing/softwarerequirementspecs.html), and I have examined this template: http://www.processimpact.com/process_assets/srs.template.doc. From what I gather, these can be pretty involved documents. Does anyone have any experiences to share about writing SRS documents? Is it even possible to estimate the time it will take to write one given so few details at this point? What questions should I be asking myself and my potential client to attempt to make a time estimate?

What aspects of writing an SRS are the most difficult, in terms of information gathering?

Any tips and pointers for those who have "been there" would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Jennifer