Re: Trying to estimate the time it will take to write an SRS.

Subject: Re: Trying to estimate the time it will take to write an SRS.
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Jennifer C. Bennett" <fritillary -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:53:05 -0500

Jennifer wrote:

> Since I have not written one of these before, I was wondering if anyone
> could help me to estimate the time it would take to create the SRS. I have
> read the TECHWR-L article "Writing Software Requirements Specifications" by
> Donn Le Vie, Jr. (link:
> http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/writing/softwarerequirementspecs.html),
> and I have examined this template:
> http://www.processimpact.com/process_assets/srs.template.doc. From what I
> gather, these can be pretty involved documents. Does anyone have any
> experiences to share about writing SRS documents? Is it even possible to
> estimate the time it will take to write one given so few details at this
> point? What questions should I be asking myself and my potential client to
> attempt to make a time estimate?

The template URL does not work, or I would have looked at the specific
template. My guess is that it will take 3-5 days to complete the task.
One day to review the template, formulate your questions, interview
developer. Two days to backfill your answers, edit, and so on. One day
to work in the developer's comments and edits. One day to figure out
Word auto-numbering, power lunch, etc.

It sounds as if the developer will guide you.

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)
Tech Tips Blog