Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination

Subject: Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination
From: K Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Tech Writer <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:40:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi! Okay, background first. I have a 700+ page
document, with each section saved as seperate word
.docs, with non-sequential page numbering- page
numbers go Chapter-page number of section, chapter
three, page 45 is III-45 while page 45 of chapter 2 is
II-45 - The page numbers are not something I can
change, this was decided by a higher power than I.

Now for the fun part. I get the task of indexing this
document. I have no other option than using Microsoft
Word (not my first choice for indexing), so I am going
to set up the concordance file and a Master document
outline to create the index. Here is my
question/concern: has anyone tried to index a document
like this and if you did, what type of problems did
you run into with having non-sequential page numbers?
Does the program pick up on the page numbers? or does
it ignore it and then you have to go in and fix it?
If you have done something like this and figured out a
way to index, with no problems caused by
non-sequential page numbers using microsoft word I
would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you in advance!

Kate

http://mail.yahoo.com