Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination

Subject: Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: K Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:19:43 -0500

Kate Salm wondered: <<I have a 700+ page document, with each section saved as seperate word .docs, with non-sequential page numbering- page numbers go Chapter-page number of section, chapter three, page 45 is III-45 while page 45 of chapter 2 is II-45... I get the task of indexing this document. I have no other option than using Microsoft Word...>>

Word isn't particularly problematic at indexing. It's not optimized for the task, but does a decent job if you're patient. If you keep a file open containing an alphabetical list of keywords, that can help with consistency. (Haven't used recent versions, so I can't tell you whether they allow you to pick from existing keywords or whethre you have to enter each keyword manually.)

Useful trick: If you set the preferences to display field codes, you can see and search for the keywords. When you proofread your index and find an error (e.g., prnting instead of printing), you can search for that typo and manually correct it.

<<I am going to set up the concordance file and a Master document outline to create the index.>>

First off, a concordance is not an index... it's a list of words. Indexes must present context, not just the word itself, otherwise they're useless... or at least no better than the search function. Second, NEVER use master documents. They're a recipe for disaster. Instead, create a separate file for the Table of Contents and another one for the Index. Then check the online help for how to include headings and indexes from multiple files; you'll need "reference document" (RD) fields to do this.

<<what type of problems did you run into with having non-sequential page numbers?>>

Haven't done this, but neither have I heard any problems with the page numbering.

www.geoff-hart.com