KWIC (was Re: Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination)

Subject: KWIC (was Re: Word Indexing using a Master Doc and having non-sequential pagination)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:05:31 -0500

Dick Margulis responded to my dissin' of concordances: <<So raise your hand if you remember KWIC indexes. Before there was online documentation--before there was online anything, as a matter of fact--IBM distributed software for generating a "Key Word In Context" index. It generated a one-line record for every word in a text file. The record consisted of the word, followed by the succeeding few words, then a comma (I think), then the preceding few words. At the right was the locator for where that word appeared.>>

Of course! In fact, I wrote an article on using these concordances in editing: Hart, G. 2005. A less-foolish consistency: more uses for concordances in editing. Intercom December:34–35.

Among other things, concordances can be used to test an index (to ensure that it's comprehensive). But the key is the context: indexes must communicate that.

<<But seriously, suppose you had a situation where searching was not possible, that is, where only hardcopy was going to be accessible, and where you did not have the budget for a real index. Would a KWIC index be more useful than a simple concordance?>>

Yes, but that's not saying much. The usual context is usually only a few surrounding words, and that means the context may not be clear, particularly in procedural information. Moreover, it would be difficult to present in a usable form. How would you alphabetize the keywords, for instance, when they're embedded in the midst of a sentence? Presumably you'd use them as headings, with the contexts provided as subheadings.

My take: there's no substitute for a real, human-generated index.

www.geoff-hart.com