RE: retronym alert: whitemail

Subject: RE: retronym alert: whitemail
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:42:33 -0500

John Cook [mailto:john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com] sez:

> On 1/27/06, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:
> > Never heard this one before, but just ran across it.
> Looking for a word
> > to describe a letter printed on paper and stuck in an
> envelope and don't
> > want to use the slightly snarky _snail mail_? Try
> _whitemail._ I like it.
>
> Perhaps we're over-thinking this. We used to just call it
> "mail". ; )

I think the post-office calls it lettermail (to distinguish
from package mail).

I think that I'd have to be writing to an extremely
formal audience before the widely recognized - and used -
"snail mail" would not be appropriate.

Kevin (who hasn't used a postage stamp in three years)