FW: Items in a Series and Comma Use?

Subject: FW: Items in a Series and Comma Use?
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:39:17 -0500

Ironically, I am working with a bunch of American English as second language
folks (Swedish, French, Indian, and British ;), and they all disagree with
adding the serial comma; this issue came up early in our style guide
discussions. I was the only one who argued for it --- I decided a long time
ago that it was a lot easier to add the silly thing in all instances to
prevent confusion. I do add it to their texts when the structures are
particularly cumbersome, but they consistently leave it out, even in complex
sentences.

They also uniformly dislike putting periods and commas inside quotes, though
they had never noticed that American standards are to do this before I
started editing their docs.

They also take out "that" in structures such as "The rules [that] you define
might depend on the type of data [that] you are importing." I had understood
(based in large part from the article "Improving Translatability and
Readability with Syntactic Cues" by John R. Kohl) that non-native speakers
would be helped by this construction, but my non-native speakers take it
out.

I have found that "ing" endings produce more confusion than anything else
for this group.

Still fighting for the serial comma,

Barb